View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GiveLove

That thread devolved into a huge treatise on cultural modes of speech because one person chose to take one word spoken by one poster (taken out of context, and for which he has long since apologized) and turn it into an argument. It was not sufficient to have her say "I am offended" and a few others say, "I don't find it offensive" and let it go at that. It became abusive, convoluted, and had nothing at all to do with the spirit or intent of the OP.

I agree with Mike that there are better places to argue about the condition of women in the Western World, especially when underneath the semantics we all agree with one another.

There is not a single person on this board who wishes to be demeaning to women. And all would be champions to women who are under the thumb of controlling circumstances.

But again: This was one word, spoken by one person in haste, who had long since apologized, which does NOT represent his views on womankind, and which was taken out of context with the purpose of holding him up as an example - tying him to the fence, so to speak.

If my recovery, or anyone's recovery, depends on that kind of behavior, then heaven help me.