View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pernell Johnson

I'd like to add a few things to the first step and some bible reading if that is alright with the staff.

Step 1
A TIME TO CHOOSE
Bible Reading: Acts 9:1-9
We admitted that we were powerless over our dependencies---that our life had become unmanageable.

There are important moments in life that can change our destiny. These are often times when we are confronted with how powerless we are over the events of our life. These moments can either destroy us or forever set the course of our life in a much better direction.
Saul of Tarsus (later called Paul; see 13:9) had such a moment. After Jesus ascension, Saul took it upon himself to rid the world of Christians. As he headed to Damascus on this mission, "a brilliant light from heaven suddenly beamed down upon him! He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul! Saul! Why are you persecuting me?...I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting! Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you are to do'....As Saul picked himself up off the ground, he found that he was blind. So his companions led him by the hand to Damascus. He remained there blind for three days. And all that time he went without food and water" (acts 9:3-6, 8-9).
Saul was suddenly confronted with the fact that his life wasn't perfect as he had thought. Self-righteousness had been his trademark. By letting go of his illusions of power, however, he became one of the most powerful men ever--the apostle Paul. When we are confronted with the knowledge that our life isn't under control, we have a choice. We can continue in denial and self-righteousness, or we can face the fact that we have been blind to some important issues. If we become willing to be led into recovery and into a whole new way of life, we will find true power.

The Life Recovery Bible

Just for Today--------I am Sober