View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
isitme

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
I wish to god my mother had been a "quitter."

It would have saved me at least three decades of agony - abuse, low self-esteem, underachieving, and misery - and countless hours & dollars in therapy trying to put myself back together.

I know how you feel about 'giving up.' But sometimes you have to rethink those labels a little.
Thanks! This does make a lot of sense. I really want to do the right thing for my kids more than anything.

The hardest part for me at this point is that when I start to think about being on my own and how I can impliment a bed time, a no sugar past a certain time rule, a no tv in your room rule... and on and on I get excited. I feel like those things are really in a 3 year olds best interest and I certainly don't want her 2 month old brother following in her footsteps. I feel like if she had more consistancy and follow through with disipline and routines she would act more approprately.

Sure, that all sounds great.. but when your dealing with someone who comes and goes as they please and isn't on the same page as you.. all of those things get thrown out the window. When you try and try to impliment them you are told "your so mean to her". This one I can take a little.. I'm not trying to be mean, but she needs to know she does not run this household.

Or if we talk about seperating or just parenting in general.. I'm told you just want everything your way. I don't feel this is 100% true, but I do think having some plan.. anything besides a free for all or total inconsistancy is really a better solution to the behavior problems. And it seems we can't even have those conversations much less come to an agreement. Therefore I struggle with thinking about removing ourselves from the situation so I can impliment these things. Is that just selfish? (Of it doesn't help that I'm constantly told this too) I'm sure it might sound silly, but I do worry about that. Am I too hard on her, is it purely selfish to want to be the only one making rules in my home? (Since we can't make any together)