Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Active Alcoholism "manifests" as nearly the exact same "symptoms" as NPD or Borderline personality disorder I believe it was. Alcohol becomes "the solution" for alcoholics until it becomes "the problem" but the truth is, alcohol was never the problem to begin with, alcoholic thinking is "the problem", alcoholics go to AA to "quit drinking" then find out drinking isn't their problem, their thinking is.

Alcoholics are an extreme example of self centered although they usually don't think so, they literally can't see it.

I have done "tons" of "research" on this as well, it's a "main" "core" theme of AA about the self centered behavior, and I have posted links on here recently showing how similar they can appear.

Toss in that link that Denny posted awhile back about the "denial" that active alcoholics have to have around their drinking, the "web of deceit" and the "psychological warfare" that practicing alcoholics have to practice on themselves and those around them and a clearer picture begins to emerge.

That's why "Sober" alcoholics continue to go to meetings, work with others, have a sponsor, continue working the steps etc for years and years because the main "problem" alcoholics center in the mind, the problem isn't their drinking, that's just a symptom.

That's why "quitting drinking" is not "recovery", and doesn't have anything to do with "recovery", quitting drinking is quitting drinking but not addressing what made them drink in the first place. Then you end up with a person who is "restless, irritable, and discontent" until they drink again, they are referred to as "dry drunks" and I have known a few that I wish would just shut up and "have a few".

anyhow, if you have more questions, feel free to ask.