View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ExNavyInHouston
Drunkaholic

I'm in the final phases of a total cosmetic dentistry makeover. I have had 28 teeth ground down to nubs to make way for full porcelain crowns (not veneers).

Along this path I have had one root canal to prepare one tooth for long-term. I also went through preparatory periodontal work.

This all started I think back in October. Initially, she started with 18 of my front top and bottom teeth. She ground them down and placed temporary acrylic covers over them. These covers or provisionals are all one piece so you can't floss between them.

This on-piece design makes for extreme pain at times because you feel pressure squeezing all the time. Plus, the acrylic doesn't protect much against temperature change.

I made it through that phase and we recently went after the back teeth. I had no idea what I was in for. The back teeth are where most of the work gets done when you chew. So now, even with popcorn I have to move them them side-to-side to get them crushed. Even a salad crouton is work.

I have found once I awake the pain nerves the sensation grows and grows until it takes over my whole head.

By the end of January this will all be worth it when I finally have a mouthful of pearly-whites. I was a tetracycline baby and my whole life I had a green/yellow stain on my teeth. One of my front incisors was also off-color due to a childhood root canal.

I admit I had no idea the pain I should have expected, but most of the time it is very manageable. I rarely take my Vicodin and rely mostly on Advil.

I started all this before I became sober 10 days ago, and now I am acutely aware of the dangers an addictive personality can invite in when there are opiates in the house. Thank goodness pain killers were not my DOC during all this. I am paying special attention they don't become the new Zen for my brain either.