View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mikel60

The beauty of SR

Hi all,
I've been coming to SR for over 5 years now and post sometimes but not a lot. This morning I've posted about 6 times, which is a record for me. I also almost never start threads. But this is where I see the beauty of SR.

Today I'm nervous. I've got major dental surgery which is going to entail some pain and discomfort for a week or so. I'm not really concerned with relapse because of pain meds - I've been through similar things before - its just that I'm a big wimp when it comes to pain.

Plus, I think my dentist had a former career as an interrogator for the Khmer Rouge or some other outfit specializing in torture techniques. Anyone here seen Marathon man? Is it safe?

So how does this fit with SR? This morning I've been able to put aside my fear and anxiety and lose myself in the thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears, struggles and successes of other alcoholics and addicts. SR is enabling me to get out of myself, put my petty concerns aside, and experience some sobriety on a gloomy (weather-wise) December morning. That's a real good thing.

Sometimes when I share at meetings that I do online recovery I get attitude and cliches thrown at me. I'd invite anyone of the scoffers to visit this sitesomeday.

Thanks SR for being the embodiment of what recovery is and always should be. Thanks for the support, advice, and for being a safe place. God knows I need it now...I can just hear that dentist drill...AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!

Mike in Boston