View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Thank you so much!

You probably don't realize how much and how often the SR community has helped me. In those scary, early days I would take my laptop on the road with me and you kept me safe from my demons. Alone in a hotel room, 1,000 miles from home - you were with me. Whenever I was feeling unsure of myself, I would get the encouragement and support I desperately needed. You are true friends.

I keep a journal and yesterday I read something that I wrote when I was 9 days sober:

"I know that I can get to the day where I am at peace and like myself – I just have to give it my best effort."

Wow! I was floored when I read this...and so grateful.

The day I quit, I was so full of self-hatred, so scared. I really went all out with my recovery - AA, SR, family support (my wife, sister, and uncle), spiritual readings, psychological readings...and prayer. So much prayer. And you know, today I am at peace and I do kinda like myself! My eyes have really been opened to what life has to offer and what's important. Alcohol has no place in my new life.

I believe that every alcoholic and addict can overcome their demons. Don't let anyone or anything discourage you. Believe in yourself and please never give up.

Don