View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Originally Posted by thecat3 View Post
1. do you believe in functional alcoholics?
2. do you think one suppresses the desire for alcohol or within time desire for it just decreses?
These are great questions....as to #1, I guess the answer depends on what one's definition of functional is. I believe that in the life of every alcoholic there is a time (all be it a very short time for some) when they appear to be, and may even be, functioning.....ie: paying bills, keeping a job, keeping a family.....etc. However, due to the fact that alcoholism is a progressive disease, there will come a time in the alcoholic's life where he/she is no longer functional..... )o: So, I guess my answer to that question would have to be 'yes' but it may be functional for such a short time that if you blink you miss it.

Since #2 is a two-part question, a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer just won't do. Therefore.....I believe that if a person has to supress his/her desire for alcohol, sooner or later, in time, that desire, which has been living under the surface for however long; it's going to rear its ugly head, and it will come back with more force and more power than it had before. However, I also believe that if that person works some kind of program of recovery, in time he/she will find that desire has gone; it just won't be there any more..... (o:

NoelleR

P.S. ...and to any of you, if your alanon group (or any group) tries to tell you that relapse is a normal part of recovery, you just put your foot down and tell them.....yes, relapses do occur, however they are NOT any part of re4covery; they are a part of the disease. I have known folks who've had their share of relapses, but at the time, they were not working at their recovery. I have never know a person who is actively working a program (any program) of recovery to have a relapse.