Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

It gets a lot easier when you start to confront the fears behind sobriety. I am sure you'd find you're not at all a bad host if you're not drinking. You said that drinking was damaging your "personality." On a guess, that means it's hurting some social interaction?

If you're drinking is problematic it is almost impossibly unlikely to get any easier. For most everyone it only gets stable for a bit or gets worse.

You might try writing out a list of pros and cons of quitting or not quitting. This is effective if you do it honestly. For me, I was afraid at first that I'd be losing a means of winding down after work. My cons included broken relationships, job instability, and loss of money. In the light of the cons, it was hard to argue in favor of a day-end relaxant.

Coming here has also been helpful for me. Suggestions are endless. Sometimes just saying the problem to an anonymous group like this helps.

Also, a temporary change of routine seems to work well for a lot of people. You might want to take a break from socializing for awhile. Tell people white lies if you must. But where you used to spend time drinking, try something new in it's place. Obviously, something that you would enjoy.