Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JustJohn
Hangovers Suck!

Hey there Hippychicky!

I'm a newbie here too, and I know exactly how you feel. It took me years to make the decision to quit. Then I quit for 4 years and made the bad decision to have "just one drink" at a dinner party in my honor for a promotion I had worked for and earned. What a way to celebrate by screwing up 4 years of sobriety, huh?

Your first days, weeks and months can be challenging, but you can do it! During that time, learn and read all you can about staying sober. Do whatever you think you have to do. There are lots of resources listed here for your to try.

I just joined Smart Recovery, which is listed in the resources here. Go there, take the tutorials, and then do the CBA worksheet. Then sign up on their forum too. You can never have too many sober friends!

If you think an AA meeting might work, you can try that too. It did not work for me, but it helps lots of other people, so that's an option.

As to your being a boring person without alcohol...perish the thought! You are who you are regardless of the booze. It's all in how you allow yourself to think. You obviously realize that alcohol is hurting you physically and mentally, and that is why you came here. With that realization, begin to change your thinking about alcohol and about yourself. There are lots of resources out here on the internet, so spend the next days learning all you can. If you truly want to stop, you can and will succeed!