Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
fulminouscherub
Sober 6/5/2008

In my garage is a converted chest freezer with six delicious home-brewed beverages on tap--four ales, one cider, and one mead. The garage fridge is full of store-bought bottled beer. The kitchen fridge has premium gin and vodka in the freezer.

There are people drinking (and using) here almost every day. As long as everyone behaves (and they do), I have no problem with it. The only person with whose drinking I have a problem is mine. That's because I'm an alcoholic.

I can't say I never think about a drink. But I can say that there is no longer any place for alcohol or drugs in my life. When I got sober I began to realize just how much time and energy I've put into unprofitable pursuits my whole life. Alcohol is just the flagship and was the first to go. Tobacco was next. Then sedentarism. I'm still thinking about caffeine and meat. Who knows where it will end?

I'm an alcoholic of the sort that alcohol was never really my problem. It was my solution. For all my problems. Until it stopped working. Now I'm trying to find a new solution in sobriety. I'm rather optimistic.