View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Missybuns

I learned cognitive therapy was such a big help to me when I tried some even before I stopped using drugs. That's when I came to fully realize no matter much I wanted to change my thinking...it was the feelings I was trying to control. That's when I had the epiphany of why I wasn't feeling better even after the miracle of learning how to change my mind.

When I fully understood it I understood why I couldnt feel better about life and myself until I stopped using anything that was poisoning my body. First I stopped shop lifting....( I could do that with just cognitive therapy alone ) then I stopped using drugs and was able to stay clean because the cognitive boost allowed me to get involved in NA and making the application of the 12 steps.

My desire to learn a knew way to live was already rewarding me. I'd stopped shop lifting (stealing), I was able to abstain from use of any mind or mood altering chemicals... and the most clear evidence is that 11 months into my recovery from narcotics addiction I stopped smoking cigarettes.

As I made the effort to the best of my ability I learned what addiction means to me directly. I set the cigarettes down with the same desire to rid myself of the other addictive behaviors.

I am currently developing the desire to quit caffeine.

Amazing what I can do with some desire and changed thinking.

One of the biggest changes is that I make reasonable decisions today....as opposed to having reactions to feelings which are inevitable. So I'm not bouncing around the emotional stage...Im living life with clear headed decisions and am responsible for them.

Merry Christmas!
Missy