View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Brightening

Hmmm...meaning and purpose. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that the things I consider "meaningful" or my "purpose" are not intrinsic, as you said. They came from my decisions to learn. You can't be of use to anyone, any hobby, or any field without learning and putting in the time. There are many things I've dabbled in that didn't pan out, thus, they are not a purpose for me. But other things that I never thought I would be accomplishing or even interested in back in my childhood became big parts of my life and now they give it "meaning". Even though I've shown an interest in many things, it seems that life sort of takes over and gives some of those interests purpose as time goes on.

I think it's a little easier for people with children to identify at least one purpose for their lives that falls outside of just "living". They are, of course, "there" for their kids. Same could be said of pets or aging parents. But it seems to me that there needs to be more...you need to find a way to be interesting to yourself and please number one at least some of the time. Eventually you have to replace the fear with something else. At first its activities (to keep off the drink), activities turn into interests which turn into priorities which turn into pride.

My personal reasons for being (and being "better", not just with alcohol, but in all aspects):

Be a better artist all the time, and bring others joy through seeing and wearing it.

Be a good and naughty wife and woman in general.

Learn as much as possible, keep an open mind, and travel so that I don't die an ignoramus.

Give back to my family the love they have shown to me, and keep my relationships with them strong.

To eat excellent food and cook it too.

Handle, breeding, raise, and show Silken Windhounds. (out of left field but its true, in the process of beginning this journey)

Continue my work with the rehoming of racing greyhounds and helping with charity events. (I do this whenever possible, it takes so much focus off the "me, me, me" and redirects it toward, egads, a purpose)

Help my husband with HIS purposes.

By way of an example:

I've always been involved in dogs and fostered a greyhound in high school. Last year I got my "forever girl" Audrey, and became involved with the rescue/charity group I obtained her through. Recently, through one of my contacts there, I learned that a Silken breeder (very rare, only 2 in my whole region) lived about 15 minutes away. I went to visit with her and am attending a luncheon with other breeders on the 27th. I'm currently doing a painting for this group (uses my current abilities in the pursuit of new ones) to use on T-shirts, and will be doing art for greyhound rescue as well. Turns out one of these people is getting on in years and may be looking for a protege to handle dogs, etc. So I basically took a first faltering step by going to just one charity event, and now I'm doing stuff all the time, and growing as I go. Life sort of found a way to make it all work out, one step at a time, and its so exciting.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about their life's meaning.