Thread: ??????????????
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tomvlll

I struggled with those same concepts until I really studied the nature of the disease of alcholism until it finally became crystal clear

1) I can't stop drinking once I take a drink. I could never stop at one or two drinks. Oh maybe I cluld in my eralier drinking days , but since it's progressive, I never could at the end. That's the allergy of the body. I don't react react to alcohol the way norml people do.

2) I couldn't stop THINK about talking a drink. I couldn't stop drinking even though I really, REALLY wanted to stop. I went through this cycle daily, for years. Swearing off the drink in the morning , caving in by night. That's the obsession of the mind.

I'd cave in at night, take the first drink, the allergy would kick in, and I'd get drunk.
I'd feel lousy as hell the next day, and thought that alcohol would make me feel better and ....take the first drink , trigger the allergy....etc. etc. etc....

This is my definition of powerless over alcohol. Until this sunk in, I was unable to take the actions necessary to recover.