Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mark75

Hey

Can't give advice.

The liver gets inflammed with any kind of toxin. Alcohol is a toxin and in high amounts will cause acute hepatitis. If the toxin remains long enough and in high enough amounts it can begin to cause permanent damage. That's when the skin turns yellow, skin spots (spiders)... lot's of scary stuff.

The good news about this is that in most cases the inflammation goes away when the toxin goes away. Except in the final stages, even those with permanent damage beginning to cause symptoms, removing the toxin will allow what is left of the liver to function at capacity and, sometimes, the symptoms will improve or go away.

If you need reassurance or are afraid something is wrong, go to the infirmary, or a primary care doctor. If cost is a concern, be very up front about it and maybe a good history and physical will be all that's needed to console you.

If you're worried about your drinking. Stop. Get support, at AA, or, your college probably has help for students with drug and alcohol problems.

The real permanent damage that alcohol causes, short of injuries, etc..., is to relationships, to your emotional and spiritual well being and all the lost opportunities that are out there waiting for you !!! Take that from someone who wished I'd given my drinking some thought when I was in school, 30 years ago...

Have a Merry Christmas with your family. If you need to see a doctor, you don't have to tell anyone but the doctor why you are there...

Mark