View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Hi there! I am so glad that all of you that are struggling are posting about how you feel and choosing to stay sober instead of just giving in to the temptation to drink.

I think it is very common what you are feeling. I know it sure was for me. I was totally lost at first. I didn't know what to do with myself as I couldn't bring myself to even go into my bedroom (I drank in secret in the bedroom) or be alone (I drank in isolation). What I did was go to a meeting as soon as I got off work which would last until 7:30. Sometimes I would stay for the 8:00 meeting which would end at 9:00 which would get me past the time that the liquor stores closed (my choice of drink was bourbon). Then I felt like it was safe to go home but even then I needed to be around people. I didn't find SR until I was a year sober so that wasn't an option. My insomnia was wicked so sleeping was out of the question.

So, I would hang out in the living room with the family until they went to bed and then I would lay in the recliner and read a book and watch tv and pray to at least catch a tiny bit of sleep.

Weekends were really hard for me. I stayed busy and tried to stay around family, friends or my new AA group. I did a lot of cooking, shopping, movie watching, reading and meetings. Being alone was a HUGE trigger for me so I avoided it at all costs for a long time.

The good news is that this didn't last a real long time. I want to say it may have lasted a month tops if that long. By then I had more confidence in my ability to stay sober, the withdrawals had passed, I had made friends in my AA group and I felt a lot more positive about things in general.

I would say to all the newcomers just hang in there, it WILL get better. Just don't drink today. Post on SR and let us support you. If you have access to face to face (f2f) support by all means take advantage of it. Come up with a list of things that you like to do that you can do in your spare time or when you are bored or need to keep yourself occupied.

Hope this helps!
Kellye