View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Osakis

How can I detach without abandoning him?

Two days ago, after my brother drank again, I and his friend took him to the doctor. I then told my bro I had to take a step back from his situation, because I couldn't help him and it was driving me crazy trying.

Yesterday, my brother's friend called my mom with an update to let her know he had a psych appointment and was doing okay. This morning I had an email from my brother letting me know he's sober and planning to see the psych again (though the next appointment isn't until Jan. 4); he is hopeful this will help.

While I am greatly relieved that my brother is sober - for now - and taking steps to stay that way, I don't feel ready to resume contact with him. It's fine when he emails to say he's doing okay ... but then if I DON'T hear from him, I'm swept up in anxiety again. I responded to his email that I was glad he is doing okay, hoped he was staying in contact with his sponsor, and that I love him very much.

I know I am not in a good place emotionally to be able to be in touch with him; I feel like I'm on the edge of a breakdown. But I also don't want to a) make him feel I've abandoned him when he's trying to get better; and/or b) make him feel guilty or even more depressed because of my emotional state.

Advice?