Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cassandra2

Originally Posted by Godsgirl View Post
I could be wrong, but I think I did read that over time as the addict uses he loses a chemical called dopamine that helps them feel emotions...and this chemical does not regenerate in the brain, thus leaving the addict with difficulty expressing some emotions as time goes on. I'm living proof because abf has often seemed to have absolutely no remorse for things he has said or done to hurt me, none whatsover even after I asked for an apology...the blame was often shifted to me........I really think he is dopamine depleted to some extent.
Dopamine is artificially created by drugs. Hence, the high euphoric feeling. The dopamine is that is naturally present in the brain senses the artifical dopamine and stops producing more. The disruption of dopamine causes the addict to be incapable of experiencing pleasure from anything including the drugs (which is why the addiction progresses and they use more and more) pleasure cannot be found in anything in life therefore they chase what they think gives them pleasure DRUGS.

The disruption of dopamine causes the flat effect. That means that they are numb cannot express any emotion. Its almost like drug addicts become sociopaths. They say and do what they THINK you want to see and hear, apologies, begging, I m gonna get help, blah blah blah. But they really cant feel anything. Especially the way you feel without being a drug addict......