Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
GratefulGirl

I am a practicing Catholic - raised in a devout family with many relatives involved in the Church. My uncle is a priest and I have had many conversations about this very subject with him. According to him, and another priest friend I have asked - divorce is a personal decision and while the Church isn't thrilled when a marriage ends in divorce, it is not always the wrong thing to do. The Catholic Church views addiction as a disease like any other but with one exception - recovery depends entirely on the addict complying with treatment. If the partner does not comply, is not willing to comply (or seek help) and continously puts the marriage partner and/or children in danger, it is considered a form of abandonment and sometimes abuse of the marriage vows - therefore allowing the spouse to seek an annullment and divorce. Priests are allowed to explain Church laws with some degree of personal perspective. Find another, more practical priest to talk to about this and I'm sure you will find peace with whatever decision you make. Good luck and God bless.