View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool Rehabs vs Insurance -- a wee FYI

I know this is 'way' off topic, but reading this thread (and some others in the past), I feel the need to just put in a wee FYI.....

"...She was preapproved and that is the only reason she stayed in the rehab part for the 10 days. She was stable on the Suboxone after 3 days and could have gone into the halfway house at that time. The only reason the hospital waited the 10 days was because her insurance had approved it..."

....and again

"...The thing is she did not need to stay in the rehab for 10 days...at three days when she was stable she could have transferred then but stayed because they told her that her insurance had approved 10 days...this rehab would not have kept her if they did not think that they were going to get paid..."

Unfortunately, this has been the problem with rehabs and insurance companies.....as long as the rehab was getting the $$, they kept a person, even if that person didn't need to remain.....Early on insurance companies were covering folks for quite long stays (some even for months, up to six months and more in some instances), but some of the rehabs were only out for the money and took advantage of the insurance companies...and slowly but surely the insurance companies began shortening the lengths of stays that they would approve.....and now, today, most insurance won't cover a decent enough length stay for anyone.....It truly is a shame.....

I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I just felt the need to throw this out there.....for what it's worth.....

NoelleR