# 17 (permalink)  
Ago

one involves a banana peel.....

Sobriety
Loses
It's
Priority

Relapse: another way to say, "I had a drink" that sounds more palatable

I drank after long term sobriety, and I call it "I drank after long term sobriety"

As in I made a clear choice to drink after not going to meetings for two years and my life was unbearable, the choice for me was a bottle or a pistol, one or the other was going in my mouth, the pistol had been a choice in my mind for so long because a drink wasn't a choice any more.

Now here is where it got tricky for me.

I literally drank in my sleep years before after three years of sobriety, like sleptwalk, took a shot, woke up in the morning, thought it was a dream.

I had been entertaining the idea of drinking for about three months, so i took one, it just happened to be in my sleep. I had something like 5 sponsees, was working the steps with a sponsor for i think the fourth or fifth time, did five meetings a week, told the truth....

it took me out....I made it like 45 days....then 30...then two weeks...within 6 months I was a daily drinker....took me five years to make it back, that's when I learned on a cellular level what "powerless" means, even after sobriety.

So once I "made a choice" to drink, once....I guess you could call it a relapse although I never have had called it that....sounds a little chickenshyte to me...but in the context of this thread I guess relapse sounds about right.