Thread: Step 1
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
keeponrelapsing

Hi, newy here, Terry that was amazing, thank you so much, I really got that and feel it's going to help. I dont want to go to aa as that'd mean I could never ever drink again and I dont feel thats neccessary. I drink about 4 bottles of wine a week, cant seem to go 4 days without then haveing another bottle. (red). swear I'm going to sort myself out but soon as I feel better, feel it would be a nice treat to have a drink and relax! My partner drinks way too much and we have 4 children, not that they suffer, I'm a master of discuises and function very well hungover, it's myself and my mental state that suffer and the messy house etc. They miss out with daddy though, weekends are mostly in bed and hungover for him, while i'm at work, when they could be doing something fun instead. He's a loving father though, although my 12 year old is now making comments about his drinking and at a party recently, said ' why is my dad always the only one who gets really drunk?' I just dont know whether to go to a support group for families living with an alcoholic so I can know how to behave (which'll probably mean cutting right down myself) or go to aa and then maybe try to help him? any thoughts anyone? my uncle died from alcoholism and I think my mum is the classic 'functioning alcoholic' she drinks everysingle day. My partners parents are both alcoholics, nasty ones who ring up shouting abuse down the phone and falliing out all the time, I really want to get MY family (me, my partner and 4 lovely children) in a better place, but hopefully still being able to enjoy a drink at social times? welocme any feedback, thanks! X