Thread: So sad.....
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
freya

Well, as far as my ES&H goes, it's mainly related to my grandmother (mom's side) and a couple of other relatives who grew up in The Great Depression...just mainly having to do with things they did, ways they acted, fears they had that grew out of an underlying scarcity (as opposed to an abundance) mentality. When my grandmother died, it took her three daughters almost 3 months to go through her stuff and clean out her house...some of the stuff she had saved/hoarded was actually a little disturbing...

I mean, I'm talking about pretty extreme stuff here -- like not being able to throw away mail that's obviously just junk and it just piles up and piles up. Or keeping broken pieces of things that one wouldn't be able to find even if one ever decided one wanted to fix it or throw it away.

I can't remember now where or how I found this, but several years ago, while I was researching something else related to addiction, I found an article about extreme hoarding as an addictive behavior.....it was really interesting and made a lot of sense to me based on the people I've known who seem to engage in that behavior to some extent.

..as far as your little girl goes, I don't know if there's anything to worry about, though....2 of my siblings were real pack-rats and they are not anything at all like my partner or my grandmother in adulthood...and when my kids were little (they're both boys) my youngest used to collect a lot or stuff that seemed crazy from an adult perspective, but that all seems -- at this point, he's 21 -- to have just been a childhood thing for him.

freya