View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GiveLove

Hi NOLA,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. We have a little thing we have to repeat around here when things get this crazy: We didn't CAUSE it, we can't CONTROL it, we can't CURE it.

And it stinks.

You have only a few options here, really.
  • Let your mom make her own choices, as sad as they are, because she is going to do that no matter what you decide to do. Practice detachment with love. Al-Anon meetings and a little bit of counseling helped me to do that with my alcoholic family members.
  • You can try to Baker Act her, as tracee mentioned above (get her taken in)
  • You can try to stage an intervention. There are lots of resources online and in the library on proper tactics for this.

The problem is, really, that none of these things will make anything better IF SHE IS NOT READY TO STOP DRINKING. Until she is ready for recovery, any efforts to get her to stop are likely to be wasted. I went through them (before I knew better) and the only thing I got for all of that effort was the knowledge that I was a hero and made myself insane trying to do everything possible to save her from herself. The end result was the same.

Take care of yourself and your own life as best you can -- it's the only life you can really control. I hope that she chooses life.