View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JusToday

Hello gang. Time to post another...

4. FIND A SPONSOR:
Continuing along the lines of "there is no Lone-Ranger recovering addict", we need to have someone who is not just aquainted with you, but (particulary early on) someone who can stand by your side in this recovery process. Someone who had been through what you are going through and who is commited to be there for you through your recovery. I know...I know...you think it will be hard finding someone like that...not as hard as you think. When you are working no. 3 on this list you will find that most support groups even have a list of people who are willing to be immediate temporary sponsors. Yes, it is a risk and it may take some time finding someone you really think is the right person to ask, but don't give up on it.

(Side Note: Keep your expectations realistically balanced with your need for a healthy recovery. Yes...caution is good, but don't just look for the "perfect" choice in personality and even how they look. Talk to some who have been around awhile and ask who they think might be a good fit. I hope that came across right.)

More to come...

"The greatest oak tree was once a little nut who held its ground." ~That cool Author Unknown person again