View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JusToday

Thumbs up The Relapse Prevention Tool Box

I will periodically list 2 to 3 tools that can be used for our recovery. Some you may not relate to or even care for and others you will relate to alot and might find very useful to implement or just be glad to refresh youself on it. Keep in mind (I'm telling myself this also) these are tools that are only good IF actually used and practiced. The more we do use the one's that seem most useful to us, the more of a change I believe they have on us in this ongoing journey called Recovery. Feel free to post your thoughts about one that really helps you and even your experience and insight of why this one is important to you.

1. REMEMBER YOUR LAST DRUNK/DRUG EPISODE:
Don't forget the hell you have been through. Dont allow minimizing or illusions of how simply "good" it was to creep in. Don't forget where you came from and why you needed treatment and help. You'll probably never forget how "wonderful" your first highs were, so (even more so) you can't allow yourself to ever forget how miserable really were INSIDE and where you were in the end.

2. USE THE 24 HOUR PLAN:
Stay clean and sober just for today. Don't worry about staying sober for the rest of you life. Don't burden yourself with the discouraging task of never using again. At times it may be focusing on just one hour at a time or even a each minute at a time, but keep your focus on the NOW. You can't stay clean for tomorrow or next week, but YOU CAN stay clean and sober for just for TODAY.

3. GO TO MEETINGS:
Regularly attendance at AA or NA meetings will greatly increase your chances of staying straight. Visit as many as you can each week (especially in early recovery). The simple truth is, whether we like it or not, we CANNOT do this on owr own. There is no such thing as the "Lone-Ranger" Recoverying Addict. Why? Because he just leaves and goes back uses again. Yes, it can be awckward meeting new people. Some groups may even turn you off or not fit all your "ideal" or expectations of what it should be like. But you keep looking, because they are out there. Many people just like you in all stages of recovery. Whatever you do, dont give up on this one...it is way too important.