Thread: Newby
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!:ghug3

Glad to see you here and wanting to make things better in both your sons life and your own. I can honestly say that my sobriety has been one of the best things in my childrens lives. You don't have to wait until he is 15 like I did. My children were 14, 15, and 2 when I finally found sobriety. By then I had done a lot of damage and put my children through a lot. I am fortunate that for the most part they have shown themselves to be resilent and have recovered as well but they did go through a couple of years of he** when I first got sober because they did not know how to deal with me without my being drunk.

You can do this. It took a program of recovery for me to finally find sobriety although I had made hundreds of attempts to quit without one. Personally, I would suggest trying the suggest your friend made about checking out an A.A. meeting. It worked for me. I have not had to drink since I went to my first meeting. If A.A. winds up not being for you after you give it a try then check out some of the other recovery programs available. There is a list of them under the alcoholism forum.

Take care and don't ever give up.