View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
TheCliff
TheCliff

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Oh, yeah. One more thing I forgot to mention ... I hope you're well stocked up on bathroom tissue. You'll wanna do that ... if you see what I'm sayin'...

5-6 vicodin's worth of hydrocodone a day, everyday, for a year, is definitely enough to throw you for a pretty significant loop when abruptly curtailed in this manner. Esp. cause it sounds like it'll be your first time w/opioid withdrawals in your life. It can be pretty ... um, 'disconcerting' shall we say?

May want to make sure you have the following on hand (apart from the TP): Naproxen or Ibuprofen, Immodium AD (you may need a bit more than one at a time, too), something to help you sleep at night like Unisom or Nyquil (something with doxylamine succinate, NOT with diphenhydramine, which doesn't work for withdrawal insomnia in my experience), a lot of water or gatorade, some 'comfort food', i.e. easy-on-the-stomach kinda stuff that you REALLY LIKE to eat (cause you ain't gonna want to eat much of anything), some blankets to keep you warm, cause you're gonna get chilled REALLY easily, and some movies to watch to pass the time (which is going to creep by incredibly slowly here).

You may also wanna take a couple days off work if you can. You're going to be sick. It's nearly identical to the flu, though, nothing you can't handle, the world won't come to an end, you aren't gonna die or anything ... you may just ... feel like that for little while here. Hang tough, it can be done, trust me
All very helpful replies~thank you all!
Well, my first night absolutely sucked. Before I even read bvaljalo's advice, I did indeed take Nyquil caps (2, in the proper dosage, lol) and still had only 2 hours of sleep. I am already thankfully stocked up on some good DVD's I've been wanting to watch for a while. And thankfully, I do not have to work until the weekend I didn't take the Immodium b/c I felt I needed to let my system clear out all the hydrocodone, etc. I am indeed using more TP than usual, lol...And although I have never had a problem with alcohol, I decided against any red wine with dinner, and actually don't even have any in the house for a while. This will probably be better for my stomach, i guess. And right again about the wanting comfort or "easy" foods....I have been living on english muffins and corn toasties, lol.
I will try to get my life straightened out little by little here...So yes, every single thing you said was true!!! I am so grateful I am not alone here, guys.
*rambling alert* My husband has never had a problem with any substance, not even cigarrettes, and in the past, whenever he was prescribed pain meds, he took them judiciously and never went through this. Now that I'm writing this i can admit I would ask him for a Vicodin here and there, and how much better my run or swim would feel. I told him the truth- I had pain, and i needed to jog or whatever, and not only would my back feel better- but it really made me workout better....wow...I'm a freaking addict...I am glad there are no pain meds in this house right now.
So he has no understanding about this, although I am going to talk with him at length about it tonight. All he knows is that i'm being impossible and trying to detox. In the meantime I will follow all of you guys' advice, and take the Advil, etc. And watch a lot of my fav. shows...