View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chino

It's her jaw, a fractured pelvis, fractured rib and fractured vertebrae. I looked over my notes the other night and the doctors said she'll have pain for about 3 months total, but after the initial 4-6 weeks it can be managed with mega doses of ibuprofen and muscle relaxers. She knows there are other alternatives, too, and her recovery is more important to her right now than the pain, thank you God.

Thankfully I've had a little recovery time too because I haven't let her occasional cranky moods affect me in the last month. I let them go in one ear and out the other.

Before I forget, I have to mention a twilight zone type of thing. Or you can call it divine intervention. 16 months ago a car almost hit my daughter on the deadliest road in our county. They over corrected and went airborne, hitting a tree. One of the passengers was ejected through a window. My daughter watched it happen in her rearview mirror.

She stopped and went back to the wreck, discovering they were friends of hers. Everyone was fine but they couldn't find Brandon. She found him just as he was dying and held him in her arms, not leaving him until the coroner covered him up and took him away.

It was not more than 30 ft from the place where my daughter was injured (she was a passenger). Every doctor said she was incredibly lucky because her eye wasn't lost, her spine didn't break (it was T1) and she could walk, her hip healed correctly and didn't require surgery.

A friend pointed out to me the other day that maybe it was Brandon watching over her, because she had watched over him as he left this world. When I shared this with my daughter she was floored. She went through a lot of therapy getting past Brandon's passing, but this time she remembered every moment with bittersweet joy and humility instead of terror.

Ann, thank you, she is brave and I feel I'm lucky to have her to support