View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

The rewards of detaching with love

My 20 year old AD still lives with me. This morning I was pondering whether she is truly an alcoholic who dabbles with binge drinking, or a flaming codependent. In either case, my reaction is still the same-to detach with love.

Last night she was home for a change, watching tv with a cat in her lap, I was on the computer doing school work. I walked in the living room, came up behind her and put my arms around her and asked her if I had told her how much I loved her, and how proud I was of her lately?

At 20 years old, I was married, with a toddler, scared to death, and in general, a neurotic mess.

At 20, her older AS was married, with a 3 year old, and a complete mess.

She's had the same job for years now. She has established good credit, and when the insurance company totaled out her car she wrecked, the bank gave her a 36 month loan on her new car this time instead of 24.

She loves her horse so much, and bought him as a 4 year old gawky gangly gelding, not broken.

She has worked tirelessly with him and it is a joy to watch her riding. She is a natural in the saddle.

She had to find a new place for him to go when things fell apart at the farm, and she did, and walked him that mile into town that day in the cold rain/wind.

She pays her bills. She decided the turbo kit that came with her new car wasn't a necessity, but was better served to sell so she can buy a new saddle and other tack for her horse.

This is all through nothing that I have done except to detach with love.

She is addicted to drama, and continues to choose friends who bring plenty of it to the table.

I say nothing and allow her to make her own choices.

She got all fired up about going to cosmetology school a couple of months ago and asked me to take a tour of the school with her, which I did.

I told her she could do anything she set her mind to.

She petered out on that once again, and I say nothing, and allow her to make her own choices.

She'll eventually get sick of her job again at some point and get fired up about continuing her education.

I see some maturity in that beautiful young woman now that never would have occurred had I nagged, browbeat, begged, pleaded, and tried to mold her to what I want.

All I know is when I do detach with love and let God do his work, things are so much better in my life, and hers too.

Last edited by Freedom1990; 11-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.