View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BayAreaPhoenix

Wow - that was/is my AH. He has his parents, 2 brothers (and their wives) and 4 nephews within a 20 mile radius. His sister and her family live in another state - but that alone is quite a support system, but all he ever did was whine about how this brother doesn't treat him with respect, and how his parents aren't supportive to him the way he wants, etc... Then there's all the guys he works around. They all are disrespectful, etc. too.

Poor poor pitiful him. I tried for years. First I spent time with his family so he would spend more time with them. That didn't work. Then I tried this that and the other. For years and years this went on.

Regardless that I didn't know all those years I was dealing with an addict - I finally figured out - THEY weren't the problem (altho they're not perfect) it was all him. He chooses to be the victim.

You can't build bridges for him, he has to build his own. Just like you.

I used to feel like I was dealing with a child. When he got like that - on the pity pot, I'd start to wonder... What did he do that he's busy getting me to pity him so I don't get mad at what? I never did find out, but now I know. I must have been coming close at times to finding out about the pills.

Welcome back, stick around.