View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post

But out in the real world.......I hear you, except I cannot agree with what you said about being bigoted about bigots. My social and ethical conscience cannot allow me to "give silent agreement to" bigotry.
I WILL confront it. My usual tactic is to say, excuse me, you are talking about one of my best friends. This is an unexpected statement and often gives me a gentle platform to speak from.
Thank you for your reply and the kudos,

I actually said
I'm bigoted against bigots, intolerant of intolerance, the bad news for me was finding out the spiritual axiom applies to me as well, If I'm upset, there's something wrong with me.
and I am, I am intolerant of sexism, homophobia, racism etc. and I don't know if you gleaned from my last two replies here I don't have too big a problem with "confrontation" although I try and be gentle, I will confront, usually along the same lines as how you deal with it, and whenever possible won't "allow" bigotry, sexism etc to go by unchallenged, HOWEVER I do notice and find amusing I am having the very same character defect as the one I am confronting in a very real sense every single time as I'm being intolerant of another's beliefs because I think they are wrong.

I feel superior to self righteous smug Christians that feel superior to me because they are going to heaven while I am going to fry in the worst depths of Hell....it just goes on and on...and I truly do find it amusing.

@ Doorknob: I hear you and apologize, this is the secular forum, and upon rereading I realized I was trying to "sell my product", which is just religious/spiritual tolerance but that forum is two doors down on the right, my bad

For me, I was unable to put together any real "long term sobriety" where I was actually happy without AA and the steps, when I quit drinking without AA i am miserable, isolating, glum, and I can't get laid for the life of me........whereas with AA, meetings, working the steps, etc. I do get "the promises" and my life gets good, I can "not drink" and actually get mentally healthy and happy, I've just never been able to do so without it, and that hasn't been for lack of trying, I always end so miserable eventually that drinking actually was a viable alternative.

So, for me, it's no big deal to have to hear the word "God" a few times a night if in return I get a life that's so vastly superior to my old one I can't compare the two.

Of course if I could still drink like I used to, it would be a non issue as well, and the only time I would have to hear the word God it would have "oh my" next to it and be in bed, and that's OK too.

seriously though, my mistake.

However.....

the flying spaghetti monster needs converts and money though, and God needs your money, and with just a small donation....oh never mind....