Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bernadette

I guess I assumed that she was capable of clear thought still.

Alcoholism will keep reminding us and showing us that it is so much bigger than us (and them)...we have no control over it- we can show the alcoholic countless times the irrationality of their behavior, their thinking, the negative impact they are having on their health, their goals, their family - and they will still choose to drink - until THEY are done. The sooner we realize this - so that WE are done trying to "get them" to change, the sooner we can focus on our own issues that we are often blind to, one of which is usually codependent behavior.

All these issues of property and stuff at the house - this is difficult when any long term relationship falls apart... it is rare that it is executed seamlessly and with perfect forethought...you're doing the best you can - and I know you say you are, or were, hanging on to some notion that this boundary you set up would get her to change but be very careful with expectations - when repeatedly dashed they often cause the most misery - Have hope yes- but expectations, no!

I found anger was a common emotion that bubbled up after a few months in AlAnon - I had been holding a LOT of stuff in - since childhood - about the alcoholics in my family - each kid in our family had their role, and the angry one was not mine - so I had to learn how to deal with it, how to use it as the fuel injection that it is without burning myself or others...

Hang in there - one day at a time -
Peace-
B.