Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
littlefish

I've had different reactions to sobriety. The euphoria phase: just thinking that every moment is amazing. But, well, that feeling comes and goes. Some days, I just feel "flat": not euphoric, but not anywhere near the depths of despair I felt drinking.
It is good to avoid thinking down the road, but it is also good to make a plan. I was just thinking today that I am making plans for the next year, 5 years, 10 years. I never planned longer than the next 20 minutes when I was drinking.
Worrying about vacations? One thing that sobriety has given me is a new way of thinking: I always used to think that I had to provide every solution, down to the last detail. But, sometimes external forces, life provides unexpected solutions.
When I think about vacations, I'm kind of looking forward to them being sober. A lot of time during my last few vacations was wasted by drinking or recovering from drinking. I'm really looking forward to my next vacation because I have a feeling I will be utilizing my time a lot better!