Thread: step 6
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
freya

Hey, blizzard, I pretty much already said where I'm at right now with 6 and 7, but back in the day that I was struggling with them a lot a couple of things that I did that were helpful were 1) read the book Drop the Rock: Removing Character Defects, Steps 6 and 7, and 2) read and re-read both the AA and the Al Anon 12&12 and also a couples other AL Anon books that hav good info and sharing on the Steps (like Paths to Recovery) I went to A LOT of Step meetings. I thnk, for me, the most helpful thing was just "hearing" a lot of people's experience/stuggles with these steps and, although I'm sure that a lot of them were saying the same thing, you know how it always seems to be that we just need to hear it said a certain way by a certain person and then it's like this big epiphany and everything kinda comes together...but, hey, if that's what it takes, that's fine by me.

....and, also, I should probably say that one of the things that I heard that was really helpful to me was actually at an AA 3rd Step meeting where this guy was talking about his experience with the 3rd Step and some of what he said just made me realize that part of my problem at the time was that I had somehow kinda rolled Steps 3 and 6 and 7 together...

....I also did try to bring the topic up at other meetings and posted questions on-line, like you have, but, as I indicated earlier, I realy didn't have much luck with that...for some reason it just seems to be very difficult for and threatening to people, which is kinda disheartening, but, of course, there's nothing really to be done about that.....

Actually, you might also try looking for some speaker tapes/CDs on-line....and now that I say that, there is a speaker I really like a lot and I bet he would have some suggestions.....I'm going to e-mail him and ask and I'll let you know what I find out.....

Good luck and don't give up!!!!!

freya