View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Crazy8Canuck

I am sad now....check my post on my great day under professional addict thread, becasue I was happy. i am torn now, because I have seen the results of people not helping, which is why I suggested talking to the base padre....no one will be in trouble and if there is a problem in the neighbors house the kids and parents will possibly get the help they need. Ultimately I am a huge advocate for helping the family...especially the kids. My dad was in the RCMP here in canada and he was a hard core drinker and I believe he paved the way for me to be a drunk too and ultimately my addictive nature and I wish one of my neighbors would have made a call and had our household looked at so that maybe my influences would have been different....don't get me wrong its not all my dads fault, because he had his own demons and didn't know what influence his drinking had on me and my brother and sisters (thankfully I took most of the backlash of his drinking and my brother and sisters didn't see or experience the dark side of his drinking). I remember still the very first time I had a drink...don't remember that whole night, but I remember the drink...for some reason I wanted to know what was so great about this crap in a bottle that dad needed to have it all the time and why did he change so much after he had it...I drank it, loved it and turned to it....I wish my neighbors said something then....who knows I may have never drank and things would be different.

The big thing for me now is that far to often people sit back and do nothing when they have a chance to act, and how many times do we see on TV people are afraid to do something....even after someone dies.

In life we all make good and bad decissions and in many cases for the drunks and druggies it is someone else that kicks us in the a$$ after we make many bad ones. I know there are many that say today I am going to quit and they decide on their own, but even then it may be because someone else helped them out. I had police, co-workers, fiends, family and many others tell me to get help, but I didn't listen and the threat of losing the best woman in my world was what I needed, but without her flipping my world upside down I would most likely be either in jail or dead...and its because someone called me on my lifestyle...and I tell her every day how greatful I am.

Silence can be deadly and by not saying things to help our friends, family and neighbors is almost as bad if not worse that being the one that is doing the hurting or neglecting. When I had to leave the Navy it was because someone from an AA meeting I was forced to go to during my 28 days rehab saw me drunk and called the MP's to pick me up. He was worried I would hurt myself, someone else and/or end up in jail again....I was ticked off, but now greatful...yes I lost my military career, but I gained a huge a$$ kicking that would be significant 2 yrs later when my wife (girlfriend at the time) hit me with the same dose of reality and a$$ kicking.

Again......Call your base padre...he will get help if it is available this way.

This is just my thoughts and I base them on my own experiences, which obviously my perception.