View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is characterized by an accumulation of adipose tissue (fat) in the liver. This accumulation interferes with the liver's ability to effectively break down drugs and remove toxins from the blood.

NAFLD is currently treated with healthy weight management (through diet and exercise), control of blood sugar (especially in diabetic patients), control of cholesterol (through medication use and diet), and avoidance of hepatic toxins like alcohol.

The major pre-disposing factor is a higher than average Body Mass Index. People who are overweight are prone to develop the disease, so it is seen frequently in the United States. It's not clear where the fat deposits in the liver come from - existing adipose tissue, dietary fat, or some combination of the two. There may also be a genetic component.

Fortunately, in the early stages the damage to the liver is readily reversible!

Ok, sounds like a nice way to say I am fat, but I am not! I lost tons of weight a few years back and my BMI is 22 and has been for several years. I don't drink a drop, haven't in years. Meds are anti-depressant and a blood pressure pill.....don't know if either is a factor, don't take tylonel. So will find out more tomorrow, will ask a ton of questions now that it has all soaked in. I am not diabetic. Am having gall bladder problems though, wondered if that could contribute.