Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
winnie12

I think i understand how it happens when someone develops it from validly prescribed pain pills. I had a trapped nerve in my pinky toe - sounds silly when you say it but it was debilitating pain. I couldnt wear a shoe on my right foot for almost six months. The pain started coming once or twice a day and over a couple of months slowly increased until it was once ever five minutes - at that point i had surgery and thought after a few days i would be back to normal - no such luck. The pain pills they had me on for the first three days were so strong that i dont remember any of it. All they were trying to do was keep me asleep and off my foot for the first few days.

the recovery took about three months and during that time I never left the house because when the pain would hit i would fall down and cry. I had a wonderful doctor who would only prescribe me a couple of days worth of pills at a time. I would hold off all day long until the moment i could take the pill and get rid of the pain - it was my relief moment. Depression set in because i didnt have much of a life due to the pain - my family was aggravated at me because i couldnt do anything and i was crying all of the time. I never abused the pills or got addicted but I can tell you if my doctor had prescribed me more pills I would have taken them. I have recovered from the pain but have a higher understanding now of what it is like to live with chronic pain and can completely understand how someone could turn to a drug because when the pain is debilitating there is nothing you want but for it to go away. If the doctor isnt careful their patient will end up with a physical addiction - I'm thankful that I had a doctor who wasnt going to let that happen to me.