View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Everyone is different, for example I kept 6 cold beers I had in the fridge sitting there for about 2 months from the night before my first day of sobriety . Because for me, having it right there was a mental tool in that there is no way on earth you can avoid alcohol except by not drinking it. Let's face it, how far away is the nearest place you can buy? For me, it's the liquor store across the street so it might as well be there in front of me so I can look it in the eye so to speak.
Everyone is different JIT yep...but just because I live in Croc country doesn't mean I keep one in my apartment...to me, that would be ridiculous.

We do live in a world full of alcohol - but keeping it in the house makes it too easy for some of us.

There have been times the fact it wasn't here stopped me. I know I could go up the road but by the time I'd get there - it's a long walk - I'll have probably talked myself out of it.

I think if you're giving up drinking, it's not a stretch to dump all the booze you have around - not only do I see that as a statement of intent, but I also think otherwise your mental tool can become an escape clause, and we addicts love those.

But that's my opinion

if I've learnt anything this last week, its that what works for me may not necessarily and automatically work for someone else.

I just thought I'd offer my perspective for balance

D