View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
marle

Even though you may have made mistakes with Chris (and who hasn't made them with their children), there comes a time in every adult's life when they must take responsibility for themselves. I grew up in an alcoholic home, but I have never blamed my parents for my mistakes or tried to make them feel responsible for me. Chris may be playing on your guilt because he knows that he can get away with it. The good news is that it is never too late to change the things that are making you feel uncomfortable in your relationship with your son. You don't have to make big changes but small ones are effective too. Start with the respect part. Draw some boundaries on what you will and will not accept from him. It may take time but things will improve when you decide that you will let him dislike you for a while. I know it is not easy but I believe that change starts with us. Hugs, Marle

p.s. Stop being so hard on yourself. You did the best you could. And Chris is not the only spoiled rotten brat in the world