View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
tobefree4me

Hi General,
Glad your here. I've read different things. There are some studies that say on a cellular level continued drinking changes the shape of our cells. It is normally round, but with the continued, constant alcohol consumption the cell starts to turn into an oblong shape in order to conform to the intake of the high concentrate of sugar that alcohol has. Some say that continued use of alcohol will change the cellular shape and no matter who you are, the body will conform and become addicted. Other studies say that acetaldehyde (the poision in alcohol) and how our body breaks this down in the liver will determine who will become alcoholic and who won't. Some people's makeup breaks down acetaldehyde differently than others. There are other studies with regard to brain function and how it may change with constant intake of alcohol. Other study may tell you alcoholism is genetic! Well, I certainly can't tell you whether you may or may not be addicted, and I am definately not a scientist, or doctor, but, I sure realized a change in my body when I started drinking daily for over a year. That's when I started to question whether I was in control of my drinking or whether my drinking was in control of me. I realized that my drinking was in control of me. It was and is scary for me. I just quit drinking October 2nd when I found this forum. Whether you decide you are alcoholic or not, you will definately be educated, inspired and know that if you choose sobriety, the people here will become a great support to you. Good luck in your search.