Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Originally Posted by Chrysalis123 View Post
...What does grieving mean to you? How did you grieve?
The way it works for me is that "grieving" is just another word for "healing". I received a great deal of emotional injuries as a result of my ex-wife's behavior. Some of those injuries were because she betrayed my trust, others were my own fault because I continued to believe in a fantasy long after it was over.

To heal means to "repair". What I needed to repair in _my_ life started with my need for a fantasy life. I had become addicted to what I _hoped_ my marriage was, and therefore blinded myself to what was _real_. I started with the 12 steps of al-anon, and modified them a little to fit my needs.

1- Admited that I am powerless over my fantasies, and that my life has become unmanageable.

I "worked" the 12 steps of al-anon just like alkies "work" their steps. I did a "fearless and thorough" inventory to figure out why I had such a deep fear of losing a bad marriage, and shared it with my sponsor. I spent a lot of time doing things that I was unable to do during my marriage, like I rented a small apartment by myself and enjoyed the _peace_. I stopped isolating and got involved in the local recovery groups. Went to art fairs and watched the sun set from a hill in a local park. I got a job that I _liked_ instead of one that paid a lot of money. I exercise and take real good care of my health. I do all the things for _me_ that I was always doing for _her_.

There were a lot of good times in my marriage, it wasn't all bad. We had a hugely busy life when we first got married so we devoted one evening a week to be "date nite". No cell phones, no kids, no interruptions. Just us. And we always had it at the same restaurant. After the divorce I couldn't even think of that restaurant without crying.

so I force myself to drive by. Not to go in. Just drive by. And think of the _good_ times we had, and be grateful to my HP for the good times. Not the bad. Eventually I was able to park outside, and later I could walk in, and then I was able to have just a soda. then I took a book and just read while I had lunch.

Little by little I replaced the pain with memories of the good times we had. Today I _love_ that restaurant. It is filled with _good_ memories for me. I have taken most of my new friends there, and I take _me_ out to lunch there once a week with a good book. No cell phones, no sponsees, no interuptions.

I've done the same thing with my whole life. Everything that caused me pain I have replaced with newer, happy memories. It was four years ago this month that my marriage fell apart, and with it my world. Today I have a whole new life that is not only happy and wonderful, it is free of fantasies. I've got a cute little condo with a window that faces out onto some grass and a tree (that's a big deal in Vegas, believe me!!! ), a great job that I love, tons of friends, and even a fantastic relationship that's going to be a year old next month.

Everything that I lost I have gotten back, in much better quality. I look back and thank my HP for having given me so many good times, and for having gotten me thru the bad times. It's a shame that marriage ended bad, but I'm glad it ended before it got even worse. It doesn't hurt anymore. A little ache now and then, like an old injury that has turned into a touch of arthritis, nothing more.

That's how I grieved, how I healed, and how I made a new life for myself.

Mike