View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceteach

I think you are over half way there. You saw a situation that you didn't like, had no control over, and moved yourself away from it. Have you taken some time to read above in the "sticky" section, the little notes at the top of this forum? Have you read any books on codependency, and how people who love addicts/alcoholics tend to be of a certain type? I found the book "Codependent No More" to be very helpful. I really saw myself in it and why I tended to choose people who were not good for me.

Consider going no contact, breaking the relationship finally. Think of it like an alchoholic, who goes cold turkey to initially get off the alcohol, then works a program to maintain his sobriety. Consider al-anon as a support system, and continue to try and keep your focus on YOU. I know it's hard, especially when your habits have been more keeping the focus on someone else for so long. But trust me, it's the right way to live for you right now, just keeping your focus on yourself. Good luck and start reading