View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Then keep the patch!!!
Hi there!
I just read your thread and I am so happy to get to the end and you are still sober! I was looking at your post before last and it got me to thinking about my sobriety. I have been sober a little over 5 months. My drinking was a HUGE problem but my husband is not a drinker so when I quit, it got to "old news" fairly quickly. BUT I attend AA, got a sponsor, some commitments and am working the steps. My husband does not "get" my struggles and the enormity of the fact that I have not had a drink in 5 months! BUT, ya know what? All my friends in recovery do so I have no resentments or issue with his ignorance on this subject. It took a while but he does understand how important my support system is to me and when I get in a particularly bad place he does suggest I call my sponsor, lol.

The interesting thing is that in the last week, his "issues" are starting to become apparent and has agreed to see a therapist. It is funny because it was always me that had a problem and I guess the focus was on me most of the time. I was a very functional alcoholic, so it is not that the focus was on my problem but rather I never called him on much cause then my drinking might come up. Now that we are five months down the road and I continue to grow and find happiness, he is starting to look at himself. Sorry for rambling, lol. But recovery is an interesting journey!

So, my point in all of this was, have you considered finding a f2f recovery support group other than your wife? There are LOTS of people with similar stories out there if you want the support.

Congrats on Day 13!!!!!