Thread: My mother died
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
guiab
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

GingerM,
What you said about the brain getting bored - that is an incredible insight. I remember it today when I had another round of paranoid thoughts (sort of nearly unconscious stream of "they are all talking about me and hate me" stuff). I think it really helped to pull the thoughts up into the light and say 'what does this look like and feel like'. It is a very secular version of the buddhist idea that we must strive to become aware and unattached to fears.
Thank You!!

Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
He explained that our brains get bored if we think about something long enough. That to get rid of a horrifying image or thought, the best way is NOT to tell it to go away, but to invite it to stay as long as it wants. In other words, when you have one of these images or thoughts or experiences, the way to make it stop is to close your eyes and immerse yourself in the experience. Look at all the details, feel all the feelings, relive it as realistically as you possibly can - and here's the important part - when you mind starts to drift away (as it will, because our brains also have fairly short attention spans), bring back that thought and make yourself think about it more. Make yourself focus on it until your mind becomes so bored with the concept that it simply won't focus on the situation anymore.
It isn't easy at first. It will probably involve some tears. It will hurt. But keep bringing it back into your mind. I promise you that once your brain gets bored with it, the emotional impact will go away. Then you'll be able to think about what happened without all the emotional baggage you currently have surrounding it.