View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

For what it's worth, I believe you're enjoying a "spiritual awakening" (or spiritual experience)...I've been fortunate to have felt what you are feeling a number of times over the years. We now understand that what Bill W. described in the AA Big Book is not the only way...it was just Bill's way.

Lying there in conflict, I dropped into the blackest depression I had ever known. Momentarily my prideful depression was crushed. I cried out, "Now I am ready to do anything - anything to receive what my friend Ebby has." Though I certainly didn't expect anything, I did make this frantic appeal, "If there be a God, will He show Himself!" The result was instant, electric beyond description. The place seemed to light up, blinding white. I knew only ecstasy and seemed on a mountain. A great wind blew, enveloping and penetrating me. To me, it was not of air but of Spirit. Blazing, there came the tremendous thought, "You are a free man." Then the ecstasy subsided. Still on the bed, I now found myself in a new world of consciousness which was suffused by a Presence. One with the Universe, a great peace came over me. I thought, "So this is the God of the preachers, this is the great Reality."
Enjoy the feeling...chances are "This, too, shall pass." But, I do believe it can occur time and time again as you remain sober.

Quoted Source: Alcoholics Anonymous
First Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 10-21-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added Source