View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
getr345
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by deerwalk View Post
Can you approach your wife with the suggestion that this is a real struggle for you- and make a request for at least a temporary alcohol free household? Like 3 months? She can go drink at a bar or something if she really needs to, with friends... Is there any chance she'd join you on this endeavor? You need support.

I had a friend who didn't believe I had a drinking problem until we dated briefly. Even after that, he thought it was okay to have a few when we were just hanging out- So I had to tell him "Absolutely NO drinking around me"... Because I knew I couldn't resist the offer. I know it's more complicated because you're married but do you think she would be open to it?

Any chance the beer's still untouched because maybe she doesn't want to drink around you?
I think I could request that but I don't think I really need to or really want to, I mean it's been pretty dry around here with me not drinking. In the 12 days since the wedding, I have observed my wife to drink one beer around the house and I had no problem with it. That was before I told her and before we bought that 12 pack. It was an old Sam Adams. I've come to the realization that I was drinking everything in sight faster than you can re-stock a fridge. So even before she knew, she just wasn't really drinking around me anyway. Maybe she doesn't want to drink around me now, or maybe she just doesn't really drink that much period. Either or is good with me. She always tended to follow my lead anyway, so maybe this is just what she needed too to go from occasional to rarely. I'm OK with the beer in the house and her having the occasional beer because really, if I want to drink, nothing (except me) will stop me even if there is no booze in the house and the wife is wearing a padlock on her lips, I have a car and money. I'd rather she drink here if "need be" than go to a bar. But maybe I will feel differently down the road, for now her drinking is thankfully not a problem for me because it's almost non-existent. I'm the one with the problem, the one who drinks and drinks and drinks and needs to stop.

So, I did.

This is Day 12.