View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

My son, who is 27, got sober when he was just turning 20. He used AA as a social connection for a few months and then as he was in his sophomore year in college he began running marathons as well as playing in community soccer leagues as a way to expand his social circle beyond AA and school and work. He worked in a grocery store as well to help pay for college.

It was by being outgoing and trying to make the first introduction and not concentrating of the fact that he no longer drank or used, that he built several good and solid friendships and a whole bunch of acquaintance connections. He has related to me that living a sober life SLOWLY began to be "normal" and his personality reflected a much more open and interested view of those around him.

In my experience we become different in all aspects as we begin to evolve into the person who finds comfort in friendships and honesty as opposed to the bottle where we had previously looked for that same feeling of comfort and safety. A great many of us lose the ability to be extroverted as we sink into dependency and when we stop being dependant on the bottle or drugs, we have to re-learn our way of connecting with others.

Chris, my son, eventually met a girl while running, who introduced him to her roommate. The roommate became his wife and now she is a pediatrician, Chris is an accountant and their daughter is one of my grandchildren. It all worked out over the past 8 years.

Good things sometimes take longer than we want them to, but they happen just when they are supposed to. Hang in there, do some of the "uncomfortable" things when it comes to mixing and interacting and you may be surprised at the results. Best of luck to you and remember that regardless you are sober and that will insure that you are ABLE to think about your choices.

Jon