View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
drainedwife

Don't they have a choice??

Hi all!!

I had a question...
I was reading the new naranon book (SESH) and couldnt quite agree with someting I read.
It said that you should accept the fact that addicts use because they dont have a choice....it is a disease. They are not doing it because they want to harm anybody, they just cant help it.
I dont know if I necessarily agree with that. I mean they choose to get up and go to the bank or wherever to get the money to buy the stuff, and then no one is holding a gun to their head, so they are making the choice to use as well. And finally, they have a choice to go and get help -- although that part, im not so sure about --because if they are in such denial that they think they dont need the help, why would they go unless finally they realize how bad their lives have become.
I just find it very hard to accept when my husband uses...especially when he tells me the day before that he doesnt like it, that it only causes bad consequences and makes him depressed, and he doesnt want to die from it, and have his children to be without a father.