Thread: My 1st Day
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Harley3801
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Welcome to SR Forus . . . Right off the bat I want you to know that I think you're very brave and courageous! The hardest and the best thing I ever did was walk into my first AA meeting . . . . and after it was over, I realized I really had nothing to fear.

What to expect . . . at most meetings they'll ask if it is anyone's first AA meeting . . . . you don't have to introduce yourself, but if you want to, all you need to say is "My name is " " and I'm an alcoholic' (and you don't even need to say that you're an alcoholic . . . You can just stop at giving your name).

I've never been at a meeting where they've asked a newcomer to speak . . . they may ask other members to share on the first step of the program since there will be a newcomer in the room ("We admitted we were powerless over alcohol & our lives had become unmanageable."). If the meeting is a "round table" discussion where everyone shares in turn, if it gets to be your turn all you need to say is "I'd like just listen tonight so I'll pass."

All you need to do is sit and listen. Nothing will be expected of you. The women may pass around sheet so they can list their names & phone numbers and they'll give it to you after the meeting.

When I went to my first meeting, I didn't know that they "passed the basket" and most everyone threw a dollar in the basket. I didn't have a dollar with me so I was kind of embarrassed . . . but it was OK cause it isn't required that you do. But in case you didn't know about the basket, I thought I'd mention it.

Let us know how it goes, OK?